04 February 2009

O Canada - no, it's not up for debate

N.B. anthem dispute opened divisions in community: parent

Why this has become such an issue completely baffles me. I just don't get why 2 families should get to dictate the protocol for an entire school... especially since that protocol involves removing something as integral as the national anthem. Maybe it's just my American upbringing (ironically), but I happen to believe that you must integrate to a certain extent in your country of residence - because no matter how much your beliefs may differ, some things are not negotiable. Yes, by all means write letters to your politicians, protest, and get involved to change things for the better when people are being wronged and victimized. But removing a key part of the national identity from an entire school just because you don't want to hear it is destructive, unfair, arrogant, and more than a little contemptuous - even more so in a country such as ours, where we are sleeping next to the elephant and our struggle for national identity is intensified.

There is a very simple solution: if you don't want to hear a country's national anthem, leave. But be forewarned: no matter where you go you're going to have to hear somebody's national anthem - and most places wouldn't entertain your sentiments anywhere nearly as long as they have here. They sure as hell wouldn't in the States. They'd kick you in the pants and tell you to put up or get out.

And so help me, I agree.

No country is ever perfect. You may not like its government, prevailing attitudes, climate, culture, religion, foreign policy, crime rate, geography, or any number of other things... but whatever it is, if it bothers you that much you're free to go somewhere else that fits you better. I did. So this isn't just hypothetical rhetoric - the very fact that I've moved back to Canada for good shows that I'm willing to put my money where my mouth is. And if The Star Spangled Banner had bothered me the same ridiculous way O Canada bothers these 2 families, I could take solace in the fact that I only have to hear it during the hockey games.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good Post! I cannot beleive that the principal would even consider accomodating the 2 parents. If it is offensive to them, fine. Why not keep the kids out of school 5 minutes late, so they can miss the anthem? They have a right not to hear it, but not at the expense of those who do.

Lisa said...

Thanks! And that's a great idea. Even if their reasons for doing so are bewildering, it would at least be a reasonable compromise.

Post a Comment

 
nineteenthcentury-no